Sunday, September 14, 2008

So what do I do with all this corn?

Since I told you how to freeze up the tasty summer corn, perhaps I should give you some ideas of what to do with it. I particularly love this Creamy Corn and Potato Chowder that I pulled from Family Fun years ago. I have made this chowder for our Soup & Sandwiches dinner at our church’s Christmas Pageant. I can’t tell you how many complements I have received.

My husband loves cornbread with corn kernels in it and I use corn as an additive to ground turkey and beans when making tacos. DH has also created a delicious corn salsa. I promise to squeeze the recipe from him and get it posted for you all to enjoy.

If you have any corn recipes / ideas, please post them so that we can all share.


Creamy Corn and Potato Chowder



Rich, creamy chowder is a favorite comfort food -- reassuring, full-bodied, and very delicious. And it's easier to make than a lot of cream soups because you don't have to puree anything.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
5 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Black pepper, to taste
Fresh dill or parsley for garnish, chopped


1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan or medium soup pot.

2. Stir in the onion and celery.

3. Partially cover the pan and cook the vegetables over moderate heat for 9 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add the chicken stock, corn, potato, and salt and bring the mixture to a low boil.

5. Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender.

6. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and flour.

7. Stir the mixture into the soup with the pepper.

8. Bring the soup back to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes.

9. Serve hot, garnished with herbs.

No comments: