Friday, August 15, 2008

Waiting for my husband

I feel like a giddy teenager. My husband and son have been away for a week and I can’t wait for them to get home. It has certainly been a quiet week – just dd and me (and the dogs and the cat). I haven’t gone grocery shopping, barely cooked a meal. I think maybe I’ve done one load of wash and only taken out one bag of garbage. How can two people make such a difference to a household? You would think I would be happy with the peace. It has been a very productive week for my writing, but I miss the chaos.

Ohhhhh – He just called. They are on the road and will be back sooner than expected. Of course that also means that I have to roust up some dinner. And there will be piles of laundry. The garbage can will overflow. Noise will bellow through our windows . . .and I will be infinitely happy.


After, 16 years of marriage and 21 years of being together, he still rings my bell. We used to dream about rocking together on the front porch of our log cabin. That dream seems to be closer to a reality than ever before.

No comments: