Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Olympics Brake Age Barriers

What do the names Dana Torres, Constantina Tomescu Dita, and Oksana Chusovitina have in common? All of these women are over 30 and competing on an international scale. We may be admiring many of our Hollywood stars for how they are looking at 50 or 60, but these woman, Dana, Constantina, and Oksana, are showing us all what the true possibilities are. Middle age and over-the-hill are becoming terms of the past (of course I’m not sure that my knees know this). Dana is 41. Constantina, who just won the woman’s marathon, is 38. And Oksana is competing in her 5th Olympic Games as a gymnast at the age of 33.

This reminds me of the day I knocked on the door of a local artist Lois Leston. Lois is a painter. She proudly showed me many of her pieces – mostly local landscapes. So I asked if she had been painting her entire life. “No, I didn’t even pick up a paint brush until after I retired.”

Such phenomenal woman.

I say
It's in the click of my heels
The bend of my hair
The palm of my hand
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.
-Maya Angelou
An excerpt from Phenomenal Woman


What possibilities may lay in front of me . . .and you. I am proud to be called “Woman”!

No comments: