Saturday, August 9, 2008

Definition of FAMILY

“Why did you wake me up?” DD complained.

“We have to get going.” I said flatly.

“But I told you last night not to wake me up until 11 am.”

I laughed, “That is never going to happen in this family.”

She grumbled into the couch.

My husband butted in, “Maybe you don’t know what FAMILY means.”

Just the way he said it made me laugh. It sounded like “family” had some secret meaning like SCUBA or NASA that she may not be privy to. I couldn’t help it. I had to ask, “And what does FAMILY stand for?”

He looked at me and realized he had been caught being the difficult father that he doesn’t want to be. He thought, smiled, and said, “Let’s see Fathers and Mothers . . .Hmmm!”

We finally concluded FAMILY means Fathers and Mothers Including Loveable Youth. While not perfect, it did prevent a fight and we all got a good laught.

Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritation and resentments slip away, and a sunny spirit takes their place.
~Mark Twain

Can you come up with a better Acronym for FAMILY? How has humor helped to lighten up your family life?

No comments: