Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday Miscellaneous Musings

Yummy New Melon

Oh, I found a yummy new melon – orange flesh. It is a combination of a honeydew and a cantaloupe. I found it at Wal-mart as we set out to get the last few things for the men’s canoe trip and I was grabbing food for coffee hour this week (I went with crackers, cheese, grapes, and melon – easy preparation and oh, so tasty). I couldn’t find a regular cantaloupe, which is what I was looking for, and had to “settle” for something different. See sometime change is good : ). Everyone at coffee hour raved about the flavor and texture, so I had some this morning for breakfast. It was delicious! Sometime diverting from your plan, can be a good thing.

Stuffed with Love

This morning I am eating the leftovers after having done Yoga with DD. If I haven’t mentioned it before, we have decided to make a change and try to become more healthy. Of course, this is made difficult when your husband buys you fudge from Cabela’s and Ben and Jerry’s Coffee Ice cream. Mind you he doesn’t know that DD and I have pledged to try to be healthier, but seriously I felt like I was being stuffed, enticed by my favorite foods. The poor man offered me the coffee ice cream and I almost had a fit, “What are you trying to do to me?”
“What? Are you on a diet? Your son and I just wanted to show you that we were thinking of you and love you.” He responded disappointedly.
I did later have a couple of bites, but I was able to contain myself. As anyone knows, a pint of Ben & Jerry’s is a single serving, so trying to limit to just a tasting is a real challenge.

Phelps has Two Golds Now

I grew up in a very sports oriented house. My father had been quite an athlete when he was young and so he channeled all that enthusiasm toward fan-hood as an adult. As an avid Red Sox fan (Diehard, I believe is the term), life was a little rough in our house especially in September (for those of you that did not follow the Sox in the 1970-90’s, September was the traditional choke time for the Red Sox. No matter how far ahead they were in the race for the pennant, it fell apart then). When I left the house, I could always count on my father watching the Sox or the Giants. So whenever I was watching the game and an incredible play was made, I would dial as fast as I could to share the moment with him. Last night, I had the opportunity to do this again.

Did you see the 4 x 100 freestyle? At 11:30 or so at night, as Lezak touched the wall, I was off my feet and dialing that phone. Sure enough, my father was hooting and hollering on the other end.

No comments: