Monday, August 25, 2008

Becoming a Woman

Just Call me Woman . . .
And my daughter too. It has finally happened my baby girl is not a little girl anymore. Last night when I was on the phone with my father, she came out of her room very excited. I thought this a bit odd because she had just gotten in trouble for her use of the computer. I kind of shooed her away as I finished the conversation with my father. She was supposed to be getting ready for bed anyway. “Let me know when you’re done.” She responded as she bounded down the hall.

So when I finished my conversation with my dad. Out she came again, a huge smile on her face. “I have my period.” She was practically jumping up and down. “It is so funny because my friend and I were just talking about it tonight and she was frustrated because she was the only one that had her period. But mine is here!” I was glad that she was taking it so well. I wanted her to see it as a positive change in life, but I was amazed at her exuberance. I remember being depressed and wanting to hide in a closet. I’m not even sure that I went to school that day. I congratulated her, but said that she may not be so excited month after month after month. I think the thrill will wear off very quickly. So now it’s Just Call US WomEn in this house.

No comments: