Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Do what you love and love what you do

Singing is one of my passions in life. I will never get a recording contract or be invited to sing in Carnagie Hall or the Grand Old Opre, but when I sing, I think I get more out of it than the audience does. One of the first groups that DD and I joined when we came to MA was the Old Sturbridge Villiage Singers. I figured that eventually we would sing in our church choir, but I wasn't sure how long it would take to find a church choir. In the meantime, this group would do wonderfully. Plus, I thought it was very cool to combine history and singing. DD was a little hesitant when she found out that we had to dress up. But somewhere in the recesses of her brain, under all the teenage angst and peer pressure, she must think that it is pretty cool too, because this week she brought the camera for us to take pictures. I'm glad we share this time together because we share the love of singing, but also because it is a clear message that if you love something - DO IT! Don't worry about what others think. This is a tough message for anyone to internalize, let alone a teenager. So be inspired, what do you want to do that you are nervous about? Look at this beautiful face and think of her stepping out of her comfort box and do the same. Find what you love and do it no matter what others think.


1 comment:

Gauri said...

What a totally delightful read :)