Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"You're Fine,Don't Worry About It" - Famous Last Words

Whew, Haven’t sat down since Saturday except for meals ----It’s been a swirling dervish: Picked up my sister and her family at the airport, went to church, had a family picnic,



visited Old Sturbridge Village,


went to Higgins Armory, and now as my sister and her family went to Mystic to visit other family, I’m spending the day getting my poor son’s arm checked out after falling off his scooter on Sunday. Poor DS slid on a patch of grass on the drive way. He was a little scratched up and certainly sore, but we didn’t think too much of it. He was relatively calm. We cleaned him up and iced his arm. We actually had a nurse friend at the house that evaluated the situation and thought it was borderline case. She, like I, thought we could continue to monitor the situation. By that evening, his complaints were more of the wrist than the elbow. The next day, we wrapped the arm and iced it again that night. He seemed to be doing ok, but when it didn’t seem better Tuesday and he had limited left to right movement of the hand, I thought if it isn’t significantly better by tomorrow that I needed to make a doctor’s appointment. So this morning, I did so. One doctor’s visit and an x-ray later, we found out that he has an undisplaced fracture of the proximal radial metaphysic, otherwise known as a broken elbow. Of course the orthopedist at our hospital is on vacation, so I’m currently waiting for a call back from another orthopedist.

Of course, one of our friends on Facebook commented, "Go figure - He can go on numerous high adventure hikes/canoe trips, etc. with no injury, but breaks his elbow at home."

3 comments:

Andysbethy said...

Isn't that just the way it goes? Sorry to hear about the broken elbow!

MrsMomma said...

Yikes! Hope he recovers quickly.

Dawn said...

Hopefully, we can finally get an orthopedist to look at it today. What a screwed up health care system. Even when I worked in an office, I made sure that my jobs were covered when I was on vacation. You would think that doctors would do the same.