Friday, June 5, 2009

Sleep Elusive - Cures For Insomnia

My brother is having trouble sleeping and has been I guess for awhile. He says that his head spins with ideas just as he tries to go to sleep. Insomnia has never been a problem for me, as I could sleep anywhere / anytime, but for the past few years I have experienced two sleepless times – One, when my husband travels and that elusive 4:00 AM hour. Surely, I know the feeling of ideas popping into your mind here / there/ and everywhere. My answer is a simple notebook. Keep a book nearby, jot down those annoying ideas that you can’t seem to let go of (in my case it is the reverse, if I don’t write it down, it will let go of me). By writing the thought down, you can let it go, knowing that it is safely remembered and will be taken up during the waking hours.

Also, as he describes his own insomnia, he admits to getting up and using the computer. This is very similar to my father, who says he can’t sleep but instead watches hours of tv or endless games of cards on the computer. I think that there is something about both the tv and the computer that don’t quite let you fall asleep, but don’t exactly keep you stimulated instead you are left in a zombie state. My comment is always that it is very hard to fall asleep when you are sitting up. When my husband travels, I can never quite get myself to go to bed. It is more than just not having him here, since he often has late meeting and that has never stopped me from going to be. But when I know he is not coming home, I wander the house and start projects to keep me busy. And frankly, I’m not sure that I would go to bed unless I made it an actual point to do so. As a mom, it is important for me to be on my game during the day. I can’t be slogging around. So I make myself a bedtime when he is traveling. At the appointed time, all electronics get shut off and I get ready for bed. Often I make a cup of tea (herbal decaffeinated) and grab a book. I read for a half an hour and then lights OUT and head on pillow eventually sleep will come.

Do any of you have insomnia? How do you deal with it?

2 comments:

Gauri said...

Oh Dawn you should definately recommend "Pranayam" or deep breathing ..which many of the yoga centres in your area would be teaching. its simple and dosent take too much time and basically helps you to streamline your thoughts and calm your nerves automatically inducing a sense of relaxation and deep undisturbed slumber :)
Am not sure of it classifies as Insomnia, but I have trouble sleeping and this has really done wonders :)
Now my mum has a hard time waking me up ;) lol

Anonymous said...

If you are suffering from sleep problems such as insomnia or obstructive sleep apnea, you need to consider this problem seriously and adopt specific measures at the earliest to get back your sleep. Regular exercising is one of the options to ensure sound sleep at night. Altogether, if you are unable to get adequate sleep during night, you can undertake certain initiatives to overcome your sleep problems such as fixing your sleeping as well as waking schedule and abstaining from alcohol, nicotine, tea, coffee et al before hitting the bed.