Saturday, December 12, 2009

O Christmas Tree


It looked like we were getting close to yet another year without a tree. We have not had a tree for two years. Two years ago, we were getting the floors done at the old house to prepare for selling the house, and then last year, we didn't put up a tree because we needed to be ready for showings. Unfortunately , a giant tree in the living room made the room look very small. So we settled for a 3' psychedelic Home Depot special for two years running. It is still used as a decoration in the house but not quite so prominently, though it has found a special place in my heart.
This year, life was piling up and I wasn't sure when we were going to get to it again. As you know, we did get the house decorated, but the tree itself was looking a little elusive. Sadly, we had to make a choice for DH and the kids to go tree hunting without me since I had to work, but better that than another year without a tree. DH was sweet enough to take pictures so that I could see their search.



By the time that I got home from work, they had the tree up and decorated.

Now we just have to find tinsel which is almost impossible to find around here. Apparently we have about the same chance of finding tinsel as we do in getting the H1N1 vaccine. Why, we do not know, but DH and kids went to four different stores looking for it and could not find it. So right now the tree is a little bare, but soon will have it glittering.

Tinsel has a long history in my family. I have to admit that I was surprised to find out how cheap tinsel was. When I was growing up, you would have thought tinsel was gold. I remember being instructed by my mother to only put three strands on each branch which we would methodically remove and save at the end of the season. I figured that tinsel had to be incredibly expensive and so when I had my first tree, I did not even question doing the same thing. DH looked at me like I was insane. "Honey," he said. "A box of tinsel is only 99 cents. We can throw it out. It is ok."

What funny Christmas memories do you have? Show us your tree. Include the link in your comment and we'll come check it out.

No comments: