Friday, October 29, 2010

Anti-Bullying Campaign

Yesterday, I sat through a seminar on bullying.  Most of the information was common sense stuff, but the general consensus was that the difference between bullying today and years ago is that today there is no end to it.  If you are bullied at school, you are not safe once you get home.  The bullying continues through IM's, texts, and FaceBook posts.  Kids don't feel that they can block friends or just not respond to such attacks and therefore the bullying continues relentlessly.

One of the best things that I got out of the seminar was this terrific book:









The book was adorable and not only encouraged kids to stand up for one another, but ended by letting the bully back down and become one of them too. 

Of course as I was listening to the whole bully spiel, I had this anonymous quote running through my head:

"Hillary Clinton once said that it takes a village to raise a child.  Well, I've seen the village and I don't want them raising my child."



Homeschooling certainly doesn't mean that our children won't be bullied. In fact, in some ways it may increase the odds of them being targets.  However, being homeschooled can reduce the relentlessness of it.


No comments: