Friday, April 15, 2011

The End of an Era - All My Children and One Life to Live Cancelled

I have to begin this post with a confession: I was once a Soap Opera junkie.  I watched the ABC Soap Opera line up from the time I was 12 or 13 until well into my 20's.  The first love of my life was "Blackie" (John Stamos) and the first concert I went to was Rick Springfield.  Granted those are both General Hospital characters, which was the easiest for me to watch based on the school bus times,  but I certainly knew my Erika Kane and Asa Bucchanan too.  I haven't had the time to watch them in years, but to hear that they are stopping production on AMC OLTL is sad.  And frankly, I feel for the actors too, many who have acted for years and years on these shows.  I hope for them new opportunities await.  As for me, it will be interesting to see what the new generation of tv brings (not that I'm home to watch it), but from a sociological perspective.  Are we back to game shows, cooking shows, or more reality tv.  Maybe there is something new that we haven't even considered.  If we're lucky, maybe it will mean that people will shut the tv off and start getting outside and interacting one on one, but somehow I doubt that as it is pretty hard to sell commercials to that.

No comments: