Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Book Club

I went to my first book club meeting in the new town. It seems like a good group of people - - - even if they forgot to introduce themselves. We met at the library after hours. This library is so small that if you held a book club and had the library open, it would be impossible for the patrons to walk around. The book up for discussion was Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist. First and foremost, I have to applaud myself as I didn’t read the book so long ago that I forgot it nor was I reading it the seconds prior to our discussion.

The Alchemist is the story of Santiago, a sheepherder, who is in search of a treasure. Santiago travels from his Andalusian Hills to Egypt following the omens and fulfilling his Personal Legend. This book may seem a little obvious or simple, but I think it brings up many questions about how we live our life. Have we given up on our dreams? Are we settling? Or are we striving to make our dreams come true? We had a very good conversation on the book sharing many personal storied and frankly we probably could have talked much longer.

We concluded the evening by getting the book for next month, The Wilderness: a Novel by Samantha Harvey.



Next month we are supposed to bring suggestions for the following two months. Do you have any suggestions?

No comments: